Monday, March 3, 2014

Chapter 26-29


Chapter 26-29

Throughout the last two years of teaching, using the WBT methods, I have found so many resources and teaching changes that have made my students achieve at high levels. It is AMAZING how much my teaching has changed. With that said, here are four of the ways I have utilized these program in my own classroom, or plan to implement, to create an environment which is engaging for all involved!

In Chapter 26, we learn when students are put in charge of the class attentions calls they become more confident in the classroom. I love how you can choose students each day, or few days that are the Rule Caller, Class, Yes, or Switch announcer. As students are chosen for these roles, they gain confidence and self-worth. I would like to expand how often I use this strategy in the coming years. I go through times where I use it for a few days or not at all.  

In Chapter 27, we review the ‘BIG SEVEN’. Each component of the Big 7 contributes to the structure of WBT. The formation of the class rules, scoreboard, attention getters, and much more create the foundation needed for a high energy, high learning environment. Students engage in learning in an interactive way. I would like to continue to work within the Guff Counter area since I have a few students that I think this would benefit from a positive response from their classmates.

Chapter 28 gave great resources to the research study conducted using Whole Brain Teaching. I plan to use this chapter to explain my rationale to other teachers, administrators, and parents when explaining why WBT works so well. The ability to show how Direct Instruction and Collaborative Learning come together in these programs is amazing. When you can positively reinforce behaviors, amplify attention, and increase memory retention in every subject of the day, students achieve to high levels.

Having data (as seen in Chapter 29) to share and show evidence of efficacy is necessary when proving how a program works. The research time invested in the WBT practices proves that this model increases student learning and teacher effectiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment