Friday, July 26, 2013

Chapter 14: Scoreboard Levels

Which of the Scoreboard levels are you most likely to use next year … and how long do you estimate you will stay at each level?

Each classroom is different but one thing is for sure, when the teacher employs support systems to teach students accountability, the teacher and students reap the benefits! In a WBT classroom, the scoreboard holds the keys to control and support of the student’s behaviors. The varying levels of the scoreboard are what make it work so well.
Looking at my class list for next year I see using Level One:  The Standard Scoreboard, Level Two: The Super Improver Team, and Level Three: The Practice Cards. I plan to implement Level One on the first day of school. This sets the tone for the rest of the year. I will use the ping-pong method (awarding a smiley and frowny close to the same time to regroup students) as well as the marker move (to entice students to work just a bit harder) and the fake (to show students they are on the right track, but not all the way there). Since there are so many ways to vary the scoreboard, it will be used all year long.
Level Two will be brought into play once the classroom is running with little effort. This is normally the first week. I will have the Super Improver Wall up in the room in the beginning of the year, but I will wait to unveil what it entails. I take pictures of the students and post these on the white starter level. Each level will signify the students and how they are improving. Once this has been initiated, it will go through the end of the year, making sure not to award too many or too few super improver stars so it lasts all year long. When I notice that students need to practice their behaviors, a little more, this will bring on the third level.
Level Three will be employed when I have narrowed down my categories of students. My Alphas, Go-Alongs, and Fence Sitters will have worked their way into a routine, whereas the Challengers will need to find their way by practicing intensely! I found that this was necessary in December/January timeframe last year. Each class is different but I hope to hold this off as long as needed. I begin with simple practice of the rule when the student had trouble, move to practice in class and recess practice, to practice at the time of difficulty with outdoor recess practice. Once this gets to this level, we bring in the letter home, which also has the same practicing. I only need this for a few students and needed it very little last year but it worked like a charm.
I am prepared to use the other variations of the scoreboard if necessary but I won’t know if I require them until I get to know each child and what their needs are in my classroom.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment