Friday, July 26, 2013

Chapter 1 & 2

Chapter 1 & 2 Assignment

Coach B says... "You've just been made principal of a charter school and you're about to address your staff for the first time. Select three points from chapters 1 and 2 that you are going to talk about describing key aspects of Whole Brain Teaching. Include one story about your teaching experience."

Staff, welcome back! I hope that you all have had a restful summer! As you all know, while you may not want to admit, it is the first week of school. In just a few days your students will walk through your doors and be eager as ever to embark on a new year. This years top priority is to engage, encourage, and entertain. I will keep this brief since research shows that more than 10 minutes of lecture will cause students (even the best students) to tune out and lose interest. The more I talk the more of you I will lose. So lets get this started. 
  
In years past we have seen our colleagues counting down the days until Christmas break, then spring break, and finally the end of school. When I was in the classroom the biggest frustration was dealing with difficult students!  I had a student, Johnny. He slammed my arm in a locker this last year. Most teachers wouldn't give him the time of day, but all the students did while he was carrying on. He was my biggest success last year. Even though he was not in my classroom I had the privilege of dealing with him in the hallways and at recess. He went from not being able to respect me or my words as an adult. This was helpful since his teacher was in support and used the WBT model in her classroom! I could award SIW stars, help practice rules at recess and so much more.


I heard many of you say that the kids that don't listen, have attitude problems, and just don't learn. Remember to use strategies with involve the entire brain and body for learning, they will have no time or room in their brain to create chaos. 

As we begin this year let's remember why we are here and create that fun environment in your classroom where students want to be and you want to stay! Rub your hands together and say oh sweet mama, I'm ready to begin this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment